Here’s the truth, the gluteus maximus gets most of the attention.
Maybe because it’s shape is more visible.
But if you want to develop big, round aesthetic looking glutes then you need to include some gluteus medius exercises in your routine.
It’s a must!
Especially, if you want to have that round curvy look around your hip area.
Not only does it improve your glute aesthetics but also help to stabilize your hips as well as rotating them both internally and externally.
So they are kind of a big deal.
Really they are.
You have to train the gluteus medius regularly.
And to make your job easier this routine has six workouts that will target the medius very effectively.
The Gluteus Medius Workout Overview
This quick routine has 6 workouts all hitting the gluteus medius.
The only thing required is a resistance band and a 20-pound dumbbell. However, if you don’t have these accessories you can still do the workout.
The rest times between each workout should be 30 to 40 seconds. Try to keep the rest time within that range to maximize intensity.
The total workout then projected is 8 minutes.
A workout chart will be provided below showing the amount of sets for each move.
Okay, let’s break down each workout to make sure you’re doing them correctly.
1. Slider Curtsy
This is the only exercise that will require a 20-pound dumbbell combined with the resistance band.
The vertical resistance from the dumbbell combined with the lateral tension from the resistance band efficiently hit the gluteus medius.
Note: If you don’t have a sliding surface, you can do the normal curtsy lunge.
How to do it
- Get into the starting position A as shown in the image above.
- Hold the dumbbell with your right hand and your left hand holding on to a chair for support.
- Make sure the resistance band is right below your pelvis area.
- Put a cloth under your left foot and slowly go down into the lunge position, sliding your left leg to the right.
- Hold the position for one second then return to the starting point and repeat.
2. Turn-Out Hamstring Curls
You’re going to challenge the gluteus medius with this workout as it includes a stretching movement.
It’s going to definitely wake up those gluteal muscles.
How to do it
- Get into the starting position A holding on to a chair head with the resistance band around both legs as shown in the image above.
- Now slowly curl your leg towards your back and hold the position for one second.
- Return to the starting point and repeat but make sure to maintain your leg parallel to the ground to increase tension.
3. Turn-Out Bent Knee Pulse
This is similar to the hamstring curl except you’ll be doing a pulse movement. You’re going to really feel tension in the gluteus medius as a result of the pulsating movement.
This is good for activating and increasing its size.
Remember, the bigger the gluteus medius is the more fuller and rounder your butt and hip.
How to do it
- Get into starting position A holding on to a chair head for support with the resistance band below your pelvis area.
- Your left leg should be relatively low to the ground.
- Now slowly lift your left leg as high as possible as shown in position B, holding for one second.
- Return to position A and repeat the required amount of sets for that leg.
4. Clam Extended Leg Lift
Clams are absolutely one of the best gluteus medius exercises.
However, making a slight variation can make it more effective.
How to do it
- Make sure the resistance band is below your pelvis, lying down on your left as shown in position A.
- Your right leg should be pointed forward hovering over the ground, that’s your starting point.
- Now slowly lift your right leg to the point as shown in position B.
- Hold that position for one second and return to position A.
5. Short Abduction Pulses
As the name suggests you’ll be doing short distance pulses.
But don’t take it lightly as it will absolutely increase tension in the gluteal area.
And that’s a good thing because you know that you are challenging the muscle.
How to do it
- Get into starting position A as shown in the image above with the resistance band around both ankles.
- You should slightly have a distance between both ankles, not too far but enough to feel a little tension.
- Slowly lift your right leg even more upwards so that you feel a little more attention.
- Hold that position for one second and return to the starting point then repeat.
6. Wide Abduction Pulses
With this move you’re going to do the opposite of the previous short abduction pulse.
In this case, you want to lift your leg as high as possible to maximize with a full range of motion.
This gives your gluteus medius an even bigger pump!
How to do it
- Get into starting position A as shown in the image above with the resistance band above each ankle.
- Your right leg should be far enough until you’re feeling a bit of tension from the band, that’s your starting point.
- Now you’re going to lift your leg even wider apart until you can’t go any further and hold that position for one second.
- Return to the starting point A and repeat the required amount of reps for each leg.
THE 8 MINUTE GLUTEUS MEDIUS EXERCISE CHART
How To Use This Gluteus Medius Workout
There are two ways to approach this.
If your main goal is to grow your glutes and hips fuller and rounder then you can do this workout 3-4 times a week.
Do the entire routine two times to get the maximum muscle hypertrophy.
On the other hand, if you already have a glute workout routine you can add this as a finisher.
See The Workout in Action
Try This Gluteus Medius Exercise Routine
Remember, at the end of the day you’re trying to grow a muscle and for that to happen you need to eat for muscle growth.
You can’t escape it.
For muscles to grow you have to be in a calorie surplus.
So if you want to pack on gains on your glutes then make sure you’re eating enough healthy calories that will sustain your training.
Check out this calorie surplus meal plan that you can use as a guide or modify this to your preference.
Lastly, consistency is what produces results whenever working towards a fitness goal.
If you can do that then you will absolutely see results and start getting those glute gains.
So start now!👍