Last Updated on January 29, 2022 by Femniqe
Push-up is the workout that most women avoid like the plague!
It seems hard but it’s all about the form and balance, and getting better at it. If you think push-ups are only for men then you’re missing out on shaping a sexy upper body.
The beauty of a push-up is that it doesn’t only targets your upper body but also your legs and 90% of the muscles in your body.
It simple engages the muscles in your body in a synchronized way.
That’s why this 30 day push-up challenge for women was created. If you’re a beginner you can still do it and as you progress in the challenge your upper body will gain strength, tone and definition.
Even one of the longest serving Victoria Secret models Alessandra Ambrosio is a big fan of push-up her self.
Image credit: Instagram @alessandraambrosio
It’s one of the ultimate exercises to tone most of your body at once.
It requires no equipment and builds strength in all the right places, plus you have hundreds of variations that you can do to keep things spicy.
But for this challenge will just keep it simple by just doing the standard push-ups, and if you can’t handle the standard version, you can do knee push-ups instead.
How to do push-ups correctly
This is where a lot of people get it wrong. For you to get the full benefit of this exercise, your form is critical. If you don’t have proper form then you won’t be able to do more push-ups and build upper body strength.
Here’s what you need to do:
- When you’re down on the ground set your hands at a distance that is slightly wider than your shoulder width.
- Keep your feet extended and straight in a way that feels right and comfortable for you. But make sure that your feet are wider apart because you’ll be more stable when performing the push-ups.
- Your butt shouldn’t be sticking up in the air as it also should be in a straight line with your legs.
- If you have issues doing the proper form with your body then clench your butt and then tighten your abs. Doing this will engage your core and your body will form a straight line.
- Make sure that your head is slightly looking ahead of you, not straight down. Looking forward will help to keep your body straight in line and maintain balance.
- Your arms should be straight and supporting your weight. Now that you’re in form, you’re ready to do the push up.
Completing one rep
- Your butt should be clenched, arms straight and abs braced. Slowly lower your body until your elbows form a 90 degree angle or smaller.
- Try not to keep your elbows flying way out with each repetition as you want to keep them close to your body.
- Once your chest grazes the floor, pause for one second and then explode back up until you’re back into the original position.
- Congratulations! You have completed one rep of a proper push-up.
How to become a pro at doing push-ups
So you have just learned how to perform a good push-up and now you’re going to learn how you can get better at it and become a pro.
Avoid cheating on the last reps
This happens to all of us.
For example, you started off with the intention of completing 20 reps but when you reach 17, you stop because in your mind you think that’s good enough.
Try to develop that mental power to overthrow that thought when you reach 17 or 18, push until you complete every last rep.
Doing so will give you a sense of achievement and bragging rights! 🙂
A lot of people find it hard to complete a full set. Try your best not to be that person and be the one that always complete their reps.
Lose the excess weight
The reason for this is, if your body is weighed down by the excess fat then you won’t be able to take your push-ups to the next level.
Try to lose some weight so that you can become lighter when performing your push-ups to get that sexy well- defined upper body.
But even if you’re slightly overweight, don’t be discouraged as this 30 day push-up challenge will work for anyone as it starts off easy and will slowly increase your upper body strength as you go day by day.
You’ll be surprise at what push-ups can do for your body, because it’s such great fat burner!
Remember that you want to build lean muscles so that you can burn more fat. Therefore, you have to make sure that you’re consuming enough protein to help support your muscles’ rebuilding and growth.
Practice with planks
Planks require good form and balance and that’s the main foundation of a good push-up.
Tighten your glutes
This has been mentioned before, but it’s worth mentioning again because it’s so effective.
You should be squeezing your glutes as if you’re holding a $100 bill between the cracks!
When you keep your glutes tight it will help to stabilize your core and pelvis while doing the push-ups.
This might not sound easy but when you actually start doing it you’ll see how simple it is for you to perform more push-ups.
Hydrate your body
Make sure that before you perform the work out your body is fully hydrated. Water is basically a fuel for your body to help with your energy.
If you’re tired of your drinking plain water, you can drink fruit infused water by using lemon or oranges.
The 30 Day Push Up Challenge For Beginners
The calendar is provided above with the required amount of reps for each day.
Whether you’re a beginner or advanced, this is a very effective 30 day challenge that you can do to help tone your upper body and lose weight.
Week one starts off with a few reps and as you progress to the other weeks, you’ll be required to do more reps.