Planks, some people love it and some hate it!
Regardless of how you feel about it, this core exercise WORKS.
There’s no doubt about it.
It’s one of the most powerful core exercises that can reshape your entire midsection.
Especially, when done correctly.
That’s why we created this 30 day plank challenge to help you reduce waist size and flatten your stomach. Now bear in mind, this isn’t your typical plank challenge with just one plank variation.
For this challenge, you’ll be doing five plank variations to hit your midsection from every angle possible.
The 30 Day Plank Challenge Overview
You won’t need any accessories or equipment for this workout routine.
The only thing you will need is your bodyweight and mental stamina to stay consistent in completing the challenge.
That’s what separates the winners from the losers.
Those who stick it out and give it their 100% will always get results!
This routine will be completed in 7 minutes, doing it only 4 times per week.
Nothing more, nothing less.
This is as simple as it can get but yet VERY effective for reducing waist fat and flattening your belly. Now, one thing a lot of these plank challenges forget to mention is your nutrition.
Without proper nutrition, you’re just wasting your time and energy.
We will talk about how you should eat after we break down each of these exercises.
Don’t worry, they are all beginner-friendly :).
Very Important Note: If you suffer from severe back pain or injury make sure to consult with a physician BEFORE taking on any fitness challenge.
Let’s get started!
1. Elbow Side Plank Hip Dips
Kicking off this challenge is a side plank variation that will absolutely wake up your core.
And even tighten up your deep abdominals to help shrink your waistline as much as possible.
How to do it
- Get into side plank position A as shown in the image above on your right elbow and right knee.
- Left hand should be placed on your hip and core should be tightened.
- Now slowly dip your hips into position B as low as possible.
- Hold position for one second then return to starting position and repeat.
2. Full Side Plank Dips
Another core exercise that will not only hit your midsection but also your upper body.
You’ll be able to tone your arms, shoulders and back.
How to do it
- Get into the side plank position on your right as shown in position A with core tightened.
- Slowly dip your hips into position B almost touching the ground.
- Hold position B for one second then return to position A and repeat.
3. Standard Plank
Technically, the standard plank is a full body exercise.
This plank variation that will shred your entire body, when done properly!
When you’re performing this exercise your body should be straight and parallel to the ground as much as possible.
This also engage other muscles within your body, therefore, you end up burning a lot more calories.
How to do it
- Get into the plank position with your legs straightened and close together or hip-width apart, elbows supporting your upper body and core tightened.
- Hold the position for the recommended time on the chart below.
Note: When you’re in the plank position imagine pulling in your belly button as if you want it to touch your spine.
4. Knee Side Plank Dips
Very similar to the first exercise in this challenge but with a slight variation that will challenge your core even more.
How to do it
- Get into a deep side plank position on your right side with your right hand straightened, supporting your upper body and legs bent as shown in position A.
- Now slowly raise your hips upward into position B as high as possible and hold for one second.
- Return to position A and repeat the required amount of reps for that set.
5. Arms Extended Side Plank
You’ll be finishing the routine with a variation that will put your body to the test.
Remember, if you want to shrink your waistline and tighten your core, you MUST challenge your body.
Never stay in a comfort zone, you’ll plateau very quickly.
How to do it
- Get into the side plank position on your right side, using your right hand to support the upper body, left hand straightened upwards and legs close together.
- Make sure to pull in your belly button as far as possible.
- Hold that position for the recommended time as shown on the chart below.
THE 30 DAY PLANK CHALLENGE CHART
See ALL The Plank Variations Demonstrated Below
Your Workout Frequency For This 30 Day Challenge
One big myth is that you have to plank everyday to see results.
Well… what about rest days?
Your body needs time to recover regardless of what type of exercise you are doing.
Not only your body but your mind will need time to recharge giving you that mental stamina.
That’s why for this 30 day plank challenge you’ll only be doing it 3-4 times per week.
Week 1, 2, 3 and 4 will follow the same routine as shown below.
Here’s the breakdown:
Monday: 7 minute plank
Tuesday: 7 minute plank
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: 7 minute plank
Friday: 7 minute plank
Saturday: Rest day
Sunday: Rest day
Optional: You can do the entire routine 2 times if you want to “max out”.
Or if you want to take things to the next level you can use the rest days to hit your glutes.
Here are some quick glutes builder routines you can do:
- The 13-minute bigger glutes and small waist workout
- The 11-minute at home booty builder
- The 10-minute workout from bigger glute mass
4 Plank Mistakes You Should Avoid
Your form is King!
Especially, when performing an exercise like plank.
That being said here are the main things you should look out for when doing planks:
- Never allow your hips, head or shoulders to drop during the standard plank.
- Do not hold your breath, instead, take quick breaths while tightening your core.
- Try not to place your hands too close together as this will create internal rotation and instability for your shoulder joint.
- Don’t try holding the position for too long. Follow the recommended time frames on the chart above. It’s way better to maintain proper form for shorter periods than holding bad form for longer.
Eating Right + This Plank Challenge = Amazing Results!
The goal here is to reduce overall body fat.
But remember, you cannot spot reduce, that’s where nutrition comes in.
Yes, the plank variations will help to shape your waistline making it slim and sexy.
To drop the excess fat that’s where your nutrition will work it’s magic.
That “magic” is your calorie deficit. 
This automatically put your body in a fat burning mode throughout the day, speeding up the results from your plank routine.
If you’re not sure how to structure your nutrition, make sure to check out this 7 day meal plan.
If you’re vegan, check out this one instead.
Now Go Ahead And Start This Plank Challenge!
You have everything you need to shrink your waistline over the next 30 days.
The next step is up to you.
Take massive action with a consistent effort and you will reduce waist size and get a flatter tummy!
Remember, it’s not rocket science, it’s a simple concept that have worked over and over.
And that is to train consistently and support that with a calorie deficit to supercharge your results!