Last Updated on June 1, 2022 by Femniqe
It’s a dilemma, you want to lose weight but keep your bum at the same time.
The last thing you want happening is when you’re losing weight, your glutes starts shrinking as the weeks and months pass.
The good news is you can lose body fat while keeping most of your butt, you just need to approach it the right way.
However, you should know that you won’t be able to spot-reduce as it is not possible.
If you’re looking to create a more hourglass figure, you can still achieve this even while reducing your body fat percentage.
The gluteal muscles are the strongest muscles in the body, and with glute-targeted exercises you can grow and shape your them while also creating a calorie deficit to shrink your waistline.
How To Lose Weight Without Losing Curves
As mentioned earlier you can lose weight and tone up without losing your curves.
Your body curves are typically made of your glutes, hips, legs, breasts and of course a slim waistline. Areas like your glutes and legs can be trained with or without weights to help maintain your curves.
If you want to improve your shape and lose weight in a healthy way, you should focus on losing fat, not muscle.
Losing muscle will not help you achieve a better shape in the long run, and could actually make it harder to lose fat. To keep your bum looking plump during your weight loss, there are a few main things you should be doing.
Steps On How To Lose Fat But Keep Your Curves
1. Get Into A Calorie Deficit
A calorie deficit is when you basically burn more calories than you consume daily. This can be accomplished through diet, exercise or a combination of both.(1)
When you create a calorie deficit, your body must tap into its fat stores for energy, which results in weight loss.
There are a number of reasons why a calorie deficit is important for weight loss.
- A calorie deficit forces your body to use stored body fat for energy. When you burn body fat, you lose weight.
- It can help to increase your metabolism. When you have a higher metabolism, you burn more calories and lose fat.
- Plus, calorie deficit is often the best way to lose weight in a sustainable way. If you lose weight too quickly, you may be more likely to regain the weight. Losing weight gradually through a calorie deficit is more likely to be sustainable in the long-term.
If you want a meal plan, you can use this Monday-Sunday calorie deficit meal plan.
2. Keep Your Bum During Weight Loss With Strength Training
If you want to keep your butt during weight loss, strength training is a must.
For one, it helps to build lean muscle mass. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest.(2)
Strength training also helps to increase your metabolism, which is another key factor in burning fat. Additionally, strength-training helps to tone your body, making you look more toned and slim thick.
All of these factors together make strength training an excellent way to help you lose fat. If you are looking to lose fat, strength training should be a part of your workout routine.
By working on your glutes with different weights, you build muscle and give yourself a rounder, fuller, perkier bum to go along with your new slimmer figure.
Strength training not only helps build the muscles in your bum and give you a shapely rear, but it also increases your resting metabolism.
The speed of your metabolism affects how quickly you can lose or gain weight. If you have more muscle, your resting metabolism is higher and it becomes easier to eat without packing on the pounds.
3. If You Want To Lose Weight But Keep Your Bum Avoid Extreme Diets
It’s essential to find a balance when you’re trying to maintain your curves.
You don’t want to go to extreme when it comes to your diet or your exercise routine.
It’s important to allow yourself have a cheat meal every once in a while, so you don’t end up binging on junk food when you have an off day.
When it comes to weight loss, focus on creating a calorie deficit and make healthy food choices when you can.
This deficit will help you lose weight without relying on a strenuous cardio workout routine.
It’s essential to maintain your curves by working your glute muscles regularly. This will prevent you from losing weight too quickly, which can cause your body to start consuming muscle tissue.
A lack of muscle tone can make your butt look flatter and less plump. To avoid this, you’ll need to rebuild your muscle mass from scratch.
Best Glute Exercises To Keeping Your Bum During Weight Loss
You want to be doing glute exercises that are best for keeping your bum during the fat loss journey as these moves help isolate the glutes.
Yes, you should still have traditional moves like squat, deadlifts and lunges in your routine.
But make sure to also focus on moves which isolate and build the glutes without adding unwanted mass elsewhere.
Let’s look at some of the best exercises for isolating the gluteus muscle.
1. Weighted or Bodyweight Glute Bridge
This move targets all 3 glute muscles, making it ideal for growing your bum.
When done correctly, the glute bridge can completely isolate the glute muscles, allowing you to grow your bum without adding unnecessary mass to your thighs and hamstrings.
How to do it:
- Lie flat on your back with both of your feet flat on the ground, shoulder-width apart and your legs bent to 90 degrees
- Drive your heels into the ground, and push your torso and upper legs into the air, extending your hips until your thighs and torso are basically inline with each other
- Only your head, shoulders, arms, and feet should touch the ground, this is your starting position
- Pushing mainly with your heels, raise your hips until your thighs and torso are in line with each other, and squeeze your glutes at the top of the lift
- Hold for two seconds, then slowly lower your hips back to the starting position, keeping your core engaged the entire time
2. Single-Leg Deadlift
This exercise works the muscles in the lower glutes area, leg and hamstring. It helps your glutes develop that nice radius connecting your underbutt to your legs.
How to do it:
- Start by standing on your right leg with your left leg slightly back behind your body
- Point your left toe and rest it on the floor. Put your right arm on your hip and your left arm extended straight down at your side
- Engage your abs and slowly lean forward
- Lift your left leg straight back behind your body and lower your torso toward the floor until both are parallel to the ceiling
- Your left hand should be almost touching the floor
- Drive into your right heel to return to the start position. That’s one rep.
3. Hip Thrusts
Hip thrusts not only isolate your glutes, but they also give your butt a more perkier look.
The hip thrust engages all the muscles in the glutes using a bench and a barbell and is much more effective than squats when it comes to building a strong, round bum.
How to do it:
- Get on your back with feet flat on the ground, shoulder-width apart and your legs bent to 90 degrees
- Drive your heels into the ground and lift your hips off the ground until your thighs and torso are in line with each other
- Hold for 2-3 seconds and slowly lower back to the starting position
4. Sumo Squat
The sumo squat is a lower body exercise that targets the quads, glutes, and hamstrings. It can be done with or without weight, making it a great exercise for beginners.
How to do it:
- Start by standing with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, toes pointing out at a 45-degree angle
- Lower your hips and buttocks down and back, as if you’re going to sit in a chair
- Keep your spine neutral, your weight in your heels, and your knees from going past your toes
- Once your thighs are parallel to the ground, pause, then press through your heels to return to the starting position
This Is How You Lose Weight But Keep Your Bum
In summary, for you to lose weight and keep your bum, you should be in a reasonable calorie deficit daily while strength training to keep your glutes from shrinking.
And make sure to add the glute isolation exercises mentioned to grow your bum and maintain its size.