Last Updated on June 9, 2022 by Femniqe
If your goal is to turn square glues into round ones, you’re at the right place. In this guide you’ll learn the best exercises for reshaping your glutes, making them rounder and fuller.
Now bear in mind, the average butt is not typically round. In fact, there are 6 types of butts:
- The square butt
- The upside-down heart
- The round/bubble
So, how can someone change a square-shaped butt to a rounder butt? We’re going to talk about how to achieve a round bum if it’s not your natural bum shape.
Is It Possible To Change My Bum shape?
You can improve the shape of your bum with the right exercises.
But you won’t be able to change the shape completely, but you can make it bigger and more rounder. What you need to do is a variety of glute-specific exercises to see results.
So How To Turn Square Glutes Into Round Glutes?
They’re 3 main gluteal muscles. When training the glutes you need to target not one but all of them. There are 2 important muscles that are not just for adding mass but also adding shape, tone and lift to your glutes.
- Gluteus maximus (The biggest)
- Gluteus medius
- Gluteus minimus
The key to a round, bubble butt is targeting your glute muscles from every angle with lots of different workout moves.
How Can I Make My Bum Round Naturally And What Are The Best Exercises?
To make your bum naturally round, you should focus on exercises that target all three muscles. Here are some workout routines that target each gluteal muscles.
- 11 Gluteus Maximus exercises for size and roundness (See routine here)
- 9 minute Gluteus Minimus workout (See routine here)
- 8 Minute Gluteus Medius workout (See routine here)
You want to use 70% of your workout time targeting the maximus and the 30% on the minimus and medius. You can also do other leg lifts and pilates-style moves to work your minimus and medius.
Best Exercises For The Gluteus Maximus
Add these Gluteus Maximus specific exercises to maximize your gains. Remember, you can do these at home or at the gym. If bodyweight variation is too easy add resistance with a band, dumbbell or barbell.
1. Glute Bridge (Optional: Add a resistance band)
A glute bridge is an easy move to do at home, and it works all three of your glute muscles. This move can also isolate the glute muscles, so you can build up your butt without adding extra bulk to your legs.
Also, it’s a great way to work your hamstrings (back of the thighs). It is a simple exercise that can be done at home with no equipment.
Here’s how to do the Glute Bridge:
- Get flat on your back with your feet flat on the ground and shoulder-width apart, legs bent to 90 degrees.
- Drive your heels into the ground and lift your hips off the ground, extending your hips until your thighs and torso forms a sloping line with each other.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top of the lift and hold for two seconds.
- Slowly lower your hips back to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise for 10-12 repetitions.
The squat is a strength exercise that works the glutes, quads, hamstrings, and lower back. You can do squats with or without weight.
To do a bodyweight squat:
- Start with your feet shoulder-width or a little more than shoulder-width apart, and make sure your toes are pointing forward.
- Engage your core, and send your hips back as you lower your body toward the ground.
- Stop when your thighs are parallel to the ground, and then press through your heels to return to the starting position.
- To make the exercise more challenging, hold your arms out in front of you as you lower down.
3. Hip Thrusts
Hip thrusts is a powerful move to work your glutes making them rounder and fuller. Here’s how to do them:
- Start by sitting on the ground with your back against a bench or chair. Make sure your feet are flat on the ground and shoulder-width apart.
- Place your hands on your hips and press your feet into the ground to raise your hips off the ground.
- Thrust your hips forward, keeping your back straight and your core engaged.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-12 reps.
4. Bulgarian Split Squats
The Bulgarian split squat is a great lower-body exercise that targets the glutes, quads and hamstrings.
It can be done with or without weight, making it a perfect exercise for both beginners and advanced exercisers.
Here’s the proper way to do Bulgarian split squats:
- Start by standing a few feet in front of a bench or chair. Place your left foot on the bench behind you with the top of your foot on the bench.
- Lower your body down into a lunge position, keeping your right knee behind your right toes.
- Now go back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for 8-10 reps, then switch sides and repeat with your right foot on the bench.
Best Exercises For The Gluteus Minimus And Medius
Now these exercises will grow your side butt which consists of these 2 muscles. Make sure that you feel the burn with doing each rep.
1. Side Leg Raises
Side leg raises are a great way to engage your hip abductor muscles and strengthen your core, glutes and hips. To do a side leg raise, simply lift your leg out to the side and away from the midline of your body.
This exercise is simple and effective, and can be done at the end of your strength workout when your muscles are exhausted.
- Start by lying on your side with both legs straight parallel to the ground.
- Put your hand on the floor in front of you for support or rest your head on your arm.
- Slowly lift your top leg as high as you can without arching your back.
- Hold for 2 seconds, then slowly lower your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-15 repetitions, then switch sides and repeat.
2. Curtsy Lunge
The curtsy lunge tones your butt and legs, plus it also works your core muscles and helps improve your balance.
Here’s how to do it:
- Now start by standing with your feet about hip-width apart.
- Step your right foot behind your left leg and bend your knees, lowering your hips until your left thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Push off with your left leg and slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat the move with your left leg behind your right.
- Do 10-12 reps on each side.
3. Fire Hydrants
One great way to get your heart pumping and your muscles working is to do the fire hydrant exercise.
This move is simple to do and only requires a little space. Plus, it can be done anywhere.
Here’s how to perform the fire hydrant exercise:
- Get on to your hands and knees with your core engaged.
- With your right knee bent in the 90 degree position, lift the leg to the side as high as your hips allow.
- Hold for a count of two and then lower your right leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side.
Aim to 2 sets of 10 repetitions on each side.
Diet Needed To Turn Square Glutes Into Round Ones
If you want to grow bigger glutes, you need to follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly. Here are some diet tips to help grow your glutes.
- Eat plenty of protein-rich foods. Protein is needed for glutes growth, so make sure to include plenty of lean meats, eggs, and dairy in your diet.
- Eat plenty of healthy fats. Healthy fats are important for hormone production, which is necessary for muscle growth. Include avocados, nuts, and seeds in your diet.
- Eat plenty of complex carbohydrates. Complex carbs are necessary for energy production and help to replenish glycogen stores after workouts. Try to include whole grains, veggies and fruits.
- Drink plenty of water. Water is essential for all aspects of health, including muscle growth. Try to get in about 8-10 glasses of water per day.
- Avoid processed foods and sugary drinks. These foods can sabotage your efforts to grow bigger glutes by causing weight gain and promoting inflammation.
- Exercise regularly. Strength training is essential for muscle growth, so make sure to include plenty of squats, lunges, and deadlifts in your workout routine.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is very important for your glutes muscle recovery and growth. 7-8 hours of sleep per night should be your aim.
- Take supplements. Supplements can help to ensure that you’re getting all of the nutrients you need to grow bigger glutes. These glute-building supplements will help you make gains.
Following these tips, you can grow bigger glutes and achieve the physique you desire.
So Can I Really Turn My Square Glutes Into Round Ones?
If you want to change the shape of your bum, you need to focus on building muscle.
You can make your butt firmer and perkier without using weights, but if you want a really great butt, you need to add some resistance and stay consistent.
And make sure to adjust your diet for higher protein intake to grow your gluteal muscles.