This is one of the biggest debates online right now “Can you get wider hips naturally?”.
Well, it depends on what you're referring to.
Are you talking about the skeletal frame or muscles?
If it's the skeletal frame then no, you cannot change that.
On the other hand if you're referring to muscles, then yes you can because they respond to stimulus.
You can definitely work and target the gluteal muscles surrounding your hip area. One in particular is the gluteus medius, it's a small muscle but it can grow a bit larger.
Your gluteal muscles help to influence the shape of your hips.
In this 10 minute workout, you're going hit the gluteal and abdominal region.
The Smaller Waist And Wider Hips Workout
You'll be doing 4 different exercises, 2 will be targeting your lower body and 2 targeting your abdominal region.
A workout chart will be given below showing the amount of sets and specific time-frames.
You won't need weights or resistance as yet.
But as you progress with this routine, you will need additional resistance to stimulate muscle growth using a 20-30 pound dumbbell.
Don't worry, you will be shown which workouts to add the dumbbell for maximum resistance.
Let's break down each move.
1. Donkey lateral kicks
Not to scare you but this workout is going to really hit your glutes and thighs.
But that's a good thing!😉
This workout is very similar to the standard donkey kicks with just a slight variation.
If a workout doesn't challenge, you're still within the comfort zone.
And if you want to develop your gluteus medius to its maximum potential then you have to push yourself harder.
How to do it
- Get into the tabletop position on all fours.
- You're going to lift your left leg sideways as high as possible.
- Then stretch your leg while maintaining it parallel to the ground for one second.
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
- Do the required amount of sets for each leg.
2. Side plank hip lifts
With this workout you're going to work the abdominal region to tone those muscles.
And also work the gluteus medius.
Now bear in mind, this workout is to tone your abdominal muscles not necessarily to burn fat as you cannot spot reduce.
In a few, you're going to get a high-intensity 5 minute HIIT/Cardio workout that you can add to this routine to maximize your fat burn.
How to do it
- Get on your left side as shown in position A.
- You're going to slowly raise your right leg as far as possible upwards while contracting your abdominal muscles as shown in position B.
- Return to position A and repeat for the specified time frame as listed on the chart below.
3. Back cross lunges
A lunge workout variation that is going to challenge not only your booty muscles but quads.
This is one of the workouts you can add a 20-30 pound dumbbell for extra resistance.
Remember, the more stimulus you provide the muscles, the more it will grow as long as you support it with good nutrition.
How to do it
- You're going to perform a reverse lunge but instead bring your left foot around behind the right foot.
- Keep doing that for the specified time frame and then switch leg.
- The video below will show you how to perform this move more clearly.
4. Parallel reaches
This compound move is going to work your glutes and also the lower abdominals.
When you're performing this workout make sure that you try to keep a good balance.
You can start off with a table or chair until you can master the balance.
How to do it
- You're going to stand only on your right foot with your left foot slightly lifted off the ground as shown in position A.
- Slowly get into the position B with your upper body and left leg parallel to the ground.
- After one second raise your body while bringing the left thigh upwards and contracting your abs.
- Return to position B, repeat for the specified time frame then switch legs.
TINY WAIST + WIDER HIPS WORKOUT CHART
SEE THE WORKOUTS IN ACTION
If you want to get a better visual of each workout, check out the short video below.
Slimming your waist with extra calorie burn
Now, if you want to maximize your calorie burn add this 10 minute flat belly workout.
This will help you to lose the excess waist and belly fat provided that you're in a calorie deficit to support the burn.
When we say calorie deficit that means, you should be burning more calories than you eat daily.
So, if you're consuming too many calories daily then your workout will be in vain.
This doesn't mean you should starve yourself daily.
You can absolutely enter a calorie deficit and still remain full throughout the today.
Here's a Monday-Sunday meal plan you can follow to maximize your efforts.
But what if I'm a hard-gainer?
If you're struggling to gain lean weight then you need to enter a calorie surplus, meaning eating more calories than you burn daily.
Here's a 7 day weight gain meal plan that you can follow that will help you gain some healthy lean body mass.
Another thing is that if you're a hardgainer you should add the weights.
Add a 20-30 dumbbell to the Back-Cross Lunge, and if you have access to ankle weights add them to the Donkey Lateral Kicks.
Doing this will maximize muscle stimuli for better gains.
Your workout frequency
You can do this routine 3 to 4 times a week for optimal muscle stimulus and fat burn.
But most of all pay attention to your diet, that dictates your results.
Try this tiny waist and wider hips workout!
Remember, whatever your fitness goal is consistency is what matters.
You cannot start and stop, then start again.
Try to develop that discipline to stick to a workout plan and as you go along try to push yourself harder and beat your last workout.
“If you follow that rule of challenging yourself in every workout you will get quicker results.”
So go ahead and try this routine, share it with your friends to challenge them also!😉